Notice Board and Upcoming Events
Discover what's going on across the Royal New Zealand Navy and stay up to date...
Postponement - Tower de Force 2019
The Tower de Force event is back! Cheer on New Zealand military and emergency response teams as they compete in this exciting urban relay challenge. This is a great fun event and watching the teams from Navy, Army and Air Force battling it out!
- Due to the recent tragic events in Christchurch, the decision has been made to postpone this year’s Tower de Force event originally planned for Saturday, 23rd March.
- We will advise a new date in due course.
12 April 2019 - Poppy Day
Poppy Day has been a part of the New Zealand calendar since 1922, making it one of the oldest nationwide appeals, and is usually held each year on the Friday before Anzac Day.
- The RSA Poppy Day appeal supports our current and ex-service personnel, including the NZ Police, and their families. The poppy reminds us of sacrifices made – both past and present. Poppies were the first flowers that grew in the battlefields of Flanders in Belgium during World War One and are a symbol of remembrance and hope.
- Once again RSA, members of the public and the NZDF will be out and about as collectors on Friday 12 April.
25 April 2019 - Anzac Day
The date itself marks the anniversary of the landing of New Zealand and Australian soldiers – the Anzacs – on the Gallipoli Peninsula in 1915. It may have led to a military defeat, but for many New Zealanders then and since, the Gallipoli landings meant the beginning of something else – a feeling that New Zealand had a role as a distinct nation, even as it fought on the other side of the world in the name of the British Empire.
- Anzac Day occurs on 25 April. It commemorates all New Zealanders killed in war and also honours returned servicemen and women.
- Anzac Day was first marked in 1916. The day has gone through many changes since then. The ceremonies that are held at war memorials up and down New Zealand, or in places overseas where New Zealanders gather, remain rich in tradition and ritual befitting a military funeral.
- Anzac Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand that broadly commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders "who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations" and "the contribution and suffering of all those who have served".
11 May 2019 - Wellington International Pride Parade
The Wellington Pride Parade has be confirmed for Saturday 11 May. In light of the events in Christchurch it is felt that we, as a Defence Force, need to step out and show our support for the diversity not just within our ranks but within our communities. While the original parade was a celebration of diversity, the rescheduled event has an air of defiance against those who fear and hate people who are different.