Combat System Specialist Training
Combat Systems Specialists are a major component of the Action Information Organisation. They are responsible for the production of the Air, Surface and Sub-Surface tactical pictures. This tactical information is correlated by the Combat Systems Specialist and then disseminated to the Command to assist the decision-making process.
Combat Systems Specialists are required to operate a complex array of command and control systems and to communicate operational and administrative procedures within a small task group or as part of a multi-coalition task force. The sophisticated equipment that Combat System Specialists operate is responsible for the location and identification of friendly or hostile forces.
On completion of Basic Common Training (12-weeks), you will be required to complete a 14-week Basic Branch Training course at the Combat System Training School, which is situated in the Maritime Warfare Training Centre. Here you will learn the fundamental requirements for a Combat System Specialist.
Image on right: Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) helicopter retrieving Variable Depth Sonar, (Breaking dip) armed with 2 ASW torpedos
* Senior Manager;
* Junior Manager; and
Torpedo firing at sea
* Minimum 3 years Secondary Education
ASW helicopter carrying out a torpedo firing
* Demonstrate competency in the application of Occupational Health and Safety issues as they apply to workplace activities in the RNZN;
* Demonstrate competency in the ceremonial requirements;
* Demonstrate competency in whole ship evolutions associated with ship safety and survivability;
* Demonstrate competency in MS Word and MS Outlook computer software applications;
* Demonstrate expected standards in personal work priorities and professional development; and
* Self motivation.
Torpedo in search mode
Combat System Specialist Competencies
* Radar and radar displays and associated equipment;
* Sonar equipment and associated equipment;
* Command support and combat systems;
* Manual plotting equipment; and
* Computer based information systems.
* Computer software;
* Tactical reference publications;
* Paints and solvents;
* Lubricants; and
* Cleaning agents.
* Picture compilation;
* Tactical electronic support measures;
* Tactical countermeasures;
* Communications; and
Spherion B Sonar set used on the ANZAC frigates by the Combat Systems Operator
Read the Combat System Specialist's job description.