Stores Accountant School
Stores Accountants join the RNZN as sailors and have 14 weeks Basic Common Training (BCT).
Then they begin a six-week Able Stores Accountant Course at the Stores Accountant School, where the following subjects are covered:
• Accounting: the issue, receipt, return and loss of stores;
• Preparing material documentation;
• Requisitions and reservations of stores from Defence suppliers and civilian vendors;
• Material handling;
• Storeroom maintenance and security;
• Stocktaking of inventory;
• Hazardous substances;
• Service delivery (customer focused); and
• Information management systems training for SAP R/3 (Land Based Inventory Management System) and Procurement Automation (Ship Based Inventory Management System).
A Navy Stores Accountant stocktaking an inventory
After successfully completing this course, Stores Accountants are awarded 'advancement weeks' that could gain them promotion to the higher rank of Able Stores Accountant less than 18 months later. Career progression through promotion provides opportunities for further courses covering:
* Material management (purchasing and materials requirement planning);
* Inventory and Asset Management; and
* Supply Chain Management.
At sea, Stores Accountants have a variety of other tasks. These include belonging to the ship's emergency response medical team and to the fire fighting and damage control team, and assisting with the transfer of supplies and personnel between ships. They also join the ship's boarding party when it is necessary to board another vessel at sea.
A boarding party alongside a vessel awaiting inspection
Read a full job description for a Stores Accountant.