HMNZS TAUPO - P3570
Modern, Versatile, Capable
The Navy's four Inshore Patrol Vessels are designed for maritime surveillance and patrol missions around the New Zealand coast and southwest Pacific. Their primary mission is to protect the security and prosperity of New Zealanders by undertaking maritime security patrols, surveillance, boarding operations and response to search and rescue call outs. The ships work with government agencies such as Fisheries, Customs, Police and the Department of Conservation on operations around New Zealand's 1500 kilometers of coastline.
Displacement: 340 tonnes
Length Overall: 55 metres
Beam: 9 metres
Speed: 25 knots
Range: 3,000 nautical miles
Complement: Core ship's company: 20
Government agencies: 4
Additional personnel: 12
The last of four Inshore Patrol Vessels, Taupo, was built under Project Protector by Tenix Shipbuilding (NZ) Ltd. Built to replace the existing Inshore Patrol Craft, Taupo will be used to monitor and protect New Zealand Shores. On the 23rd of August 2008 her Lady Her Excellency, Mrs Susan Satyanand, cut the ribbon releasing the champagne bottle on TAUPO’s bow.
Taupo will used to operate around New Zealand's 200 Nautical Mile EEZ (Economic Exclusion Zone). It's secondary role will be sea training for members of the RNZN. Taupo will be based at Devonport Naval Base and will be available 290 days of the year.
The first HMNZS TAUPO was a WWII Loch-class frigate (the class were all named for Scottish lochs) built in 1944 as HMS LOCH SHIN. The British frigate escorted a number of Russian Convoys and was involved with sinking two U-boats. Of note she was assigned the pennant number K421. In 1947 ships' pennant numbers were revised under a common NATO system and LOCH SHIN became P3570.
In 1948 the frigate (along with 5 sister ships) was transferred to the RNZN and given a New Zealand lake name, TAUPO, while retaining her pennant number P3570.